Mikel Obi speaks on winning promotion with Middlesbrough

Mikel Obi speaks on winning promotion with Middlesbrough

Super Eagles captain, John Obi Mikel, has said gaining promotion to the English Premier League with Middlesborough, will be one of the greatest achievements of his career.

Mikel joined Middlesborough on a short term deal in January, after a two-year stint with the Chinese side, Tianjin Teda.

Since the Nigerian midfielder moved to the Riverside Stadium, the team have lost just once in the league and are fifth in the Championship with 12 games remaining.

With a game in hand on all four sides above them, Boro are nine points adrift of the top two and an automatic promotion spot.

"It would be up there as one of my greatest achievements.

"If we manage to pull it [promotion] off, it would be amazing.

"I'm still hungry and want to win trophies. I'm never satisfied with what I have achieved. If I was, I would just sit at home.

"I want to achieve something with this club and that is to get this club promoted.

"I love challenges and I knew coming in here would be a challenge for me, and being in the second division would be a challenge for me.

"I knew this club would be pushing for promotion and managing to do that wouldn't be easy.

"Middlesbrough are a massive club and should be in the Premier League - it is where it belongs for me," Mikel Obi told BBC Sports.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...