Sadio Mane reveals why Liverpool teammates must call him 'Ronaldo'

Sadio Mane reveals why Liverpool teammates must call him 'Ronaldo'

Sadio Mané has teased Liverpool squad members to address him as Cristiano Ronaldo after successfully replacing Roberto Firmino in Wednesday's Premier League win over Watford.

The Senegalese star Mané netted a brace as the Premier League leaders hammered the Hornets 5-0 to remain at the summit of the log ahead of Man City.

According to Sky Sport sources, Reds boss Jurgen Klopp asked Mane, who plays more through the flanks to fill the vacuum created by recuperating points man Firmino.

Mané responded positively by handing in early lead during the tie before adding a back heeled goal in the 5-0 bashing.

And now Mane insists he will only play in the position if his teammates agree to call him Ronaldo.

"To be honest I was quite surprised," Mané told Sky Sports.

"I never played there before, I was nervous.

"Before the game the coach called me and said 'okay we are going to make some changes, Sadio you have to play number nine'.

"I said 'Oh!', and I looked at my team-mates... I was laughing and I said 'we are a team so you have to trust me!'

"They were all laughing at me but I said 'from today, call me Ronaldo or Firmino!''

"Gini [Wijnaldum] said 'You have to score. If you score we'll call you Ronaldo, if not, you're s***!"

"I was lucky to score two goals but honestly I don't mind. I'm happy to play left or right side but if the team or the coach needs me as a striker, I'll try again."

He added: " Of course it is one of the more important derbies because we know what we want this season.

"But after all it is like any other game. We need to focus and give everything to win it."

Man City may go top of the leg after playing Bournemouth on Saturday ahead of Liverpool Merseyside derby on Sunday against rivals Everton.

"Of course it is one of the more important derbies because we know what we want this season," he stressed.

"But after all it is like any other game. We need to focus and give everything to win it," Mane submitted.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...