Why Marcos Alonso was dropped from Chelsea's Carabao Cup final squad to face Man City

Why Marcos Alonso was dropped from Chelsea's Carabao Cup final squad to face Man City

Maurizio Sarri has revealed he left Marcos Alonso out of Chelsea's Carabao Cup final defeat to Manchester City because the Spaniard is out of form.

Emerson Palmeri was given the nod at left-back and performed admirably up against the likes of Raheem Sterling and Kyle Walker.

Alonso started the season brightly under Sarri and the Italian said the former Fiorentina full-back could become the 'best left-back in the world' in October.

However, Sarri has revealed that, after deciding to start Emerson, he did not want to waste a place on his bench for Alonso.

'I did not want a left-back on the bench but its the same situation with Emerson usually,' Sarri said.

'It depends on the period. In this moment Emerson is doing very well so I have to use him but it depends on the period, the mental and physical conditions [of the players].

'It can happen that in 11 months [of a season] you have one or two months not at the top, it's not a big problem.

'Emerson now is in a very good physical and mental condition.'

Sunday's final was overshadowed by Kepa's refusal to leave the field when Sarri opted to bring on Willy Caballero.

The Spaniard has since been fined a week's wages and Sarri says he will make a late call on whether the 24-year-old will play against Tottenham.

'I spoke to Kepa, I spoke to everyone. He said sorry to the technical staff, but it was not enough. He said sorry to the players and the club. We don't want to kill him,' said Sarri.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...