Arsenal boss Emery names the only player he will sign to solve his side's defensive woes

Arsenal boss Emery names the only player he will sign to solve his side's defensive woes

Arsenal boss Unai Emery is reportedly planning to launch a for Mainz star Jean-Philippe Gbamin this summer.

The 23-year-old defender is contracted to his German League side until the summer of 2023 having joined them from Ligue 1 side Lens in 2016 for just €5 million.

His stocks have however skyrocketed at the Bundesliga side in just about three seasons as they have slammed a staggering £40 million for the Ivorian.

The Gunners were said to have attempted signing the defender last summer but his club refused every offer from the Premier League club.

SunSport quoting the Express however claims that the north Londoners are ready to go back in again for the star.

Gbamin has featured for his German League in all but two Bundesliga matches when he suffered hamstring injury in September.

The Gunners were forced to rely on a loan signing to bring Denis Suarez to the club in January and reports have suggested they will only have £40m to spend this summer.

Speaking recently, Gbamin said: " I basically feel ready for the next step and can well imagine starting a new chapter.

"Through my achievements, I have made clubs aware of me, where I see a good chance to go to this next stage in my sporting and personal development .

"At the moment I give 100 per cent for Mainz and I am very satisfied with how much we have improved. "What will happen after the season, we have to wait and see ."

So far this season, Arsenal have conceded 37 goals in the Premier League, more than any other club in the top eight.
But the arrival of Gbamin could help Unai Emery solve his defensive woes as they hope to contend for titles if not this campaign, then next.

Gbamin - who represented France at youth level but has now chosen to represent Ivory Coast - is usually deployed in a holding midfield role and would help to sure up the Gunners.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...