Arsenal, 1 other Premier League top club battling to sign highly-rated German defender

Arsenal, 1 other Premier League top club battling to sign highly-rated German defender

Premier League duo of Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur have reported shown interests in signing Borussia Monchengladbach sensation Matthias Ginter.

The German defender, who has already made 25 appearances for his country's national team is one of the revelations in the Bundesliga this campaign.

According to Express quoting Sky Sports, the English topflight are hoping to outsmart each other in a bid to land the player.

The publication reveals that Spurs have been watching the 25-year-old's growth since his Borussia Dortmund days.

He has made 54 appearances for Monchengladbach since joined them in 2017, and has scored once in the Bundesliga this season.

Meanwhile, with both sides looking to strengthen their defensive options in the summer, the battle to sign the player might linger to the very last.

Though, Laurent Koscielny is back on his feet fully fit after a lengthy stint on the sidelines, he however is now in the twilight of his career and a replacement needs to be sourced soon.

A few other stars are on the books of the Gunners like Shkodran Mustafi and Sokratis Papastathopoulos are neither here nor there.

Spurs have a back up plan in case their bid to sign Ginter fail, as they are hoping they can secure the services of West Ham ace Declan Rice.

Rice recently signed a new deal with the Hammers in December, but that was not enough to put off Spurs, or Liverpool who are also keen.

"I'm absolutely delighted to have got the contract done, signed and to commit my future to the Club until 2024. I'm absolutely ecstatic," Rice said after committing his future to the east Londoners.

"Without a doubt, the plan was always to stay at West Ham .

"I've had the support from the fans, from the players and from the manager and now, to get it done and commit myself to this Club is a very special moment and I'm over the moon .

"I've now played 50 games for the first team and I'm progressing week-in, week-out, learning from a top manager and top players .

"I'm still young, so to put more years on my contract and keep developing here is the best thing for me to do now .

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...