Meet 25-year-old minister of sports who is the youngest cabinet minister in Asia

Meet 25-year-old minister of sports who is the youngest cabinet minister in Asia

Syed Saddiq is the youngest cabinet member in the Asian continent, who became the Minister of Youth and Sports at the age of 25.

The Malaysian politician and activist was elected in to Parliament in 2018 after contesting in the general elections.

Before his emergence as the youngest cabinet member in Malaysia, he was the spokesperson for the Malaysian United Indigenous Party and is considered one of the founding members.

Saddiq's main policy since coming to office has been to encourage more youth in government by lowering voting age from 21 to 18 according to This Week in Asia.

"That's 3.7 million new voters on the roll - so now political parties will have to take young people very seriously." Saddiq states

Currently 26-year-old, he also wants to increase public awareness and interest in Paralympic Games and championing e-sports as a valid form of competition.

He added that: " My constituency center is there, and I deal with complaints that have been lodged, I meet with constituents and address a range of problems: from drainage issues to students who need financial assistance for scholarships .

"I also work to find investors and give them a personalised tour of my constituency, show them the potential and beauty of Muar and encourage them to invest in it. "

His many debate trophies punctuate the otherwise bare shelves. "The office was so empty when I moved in and I didn't know what else to fill the shelves with," he explains.

"Saddiq was a decorated debater, having scooped multiple awards at the Asian British Parliamentary Debating Championships and other tournaments."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...