Checkout the winner of BBC African Footballer of the Year award for the second time in a row and Previous winners

Egypt international Mohamed Salah has been crowned BBC African Footballer of the year award for the second year running.

The 26-year-old continued his impressive performances for his Premier League side this term having scored 13 goals and four assists in all competition for the Anfield side.

He joined Liverpool in the summer of 2017 from AS Roma and helped them reach the Champions League final in over a decade.

Checkout the winner of BBC African Footballer of the Year award for the second time in a row and Previous winners

The Reds forward beat Liverpool teammate, Sadio Mane, Medhi Benatia, Kalidou Koulibaly, and Thomas Partey to the prestigious prize.

Having joined the Anfield side from AS Roma in the summer of 2017, he went ahead to score 44 goals in 52 appearances in his debut season for the club.

A performance that led him to win his first ever BBC award among several other individual titles at the end of the season.

He also broke the long standing Premier League goal record during his first season - scoring 32 goals in a single season.

While reacting to the award, Salah said: "It's a great feeling to win again. I'm happy and I would like to win it also next year. "

It will be recalled that his goal against Napoli ensured the Reds progressed to the round of 16 of the UEFA Champions League this season.

He also scored twice for Egypt at this year's World Cup, having netted both goals in the match which took his country to the tournament for the first time since 1990.

"There have been many good moments in 2018, " he added.

"The game against Roma at Anfield [Champions League semi-final first leg] was unbelievable. I'm scoring goals and helping the team to get the points to be top of the league. That's always a great feeling. "

Salah said his aim for 2019 is " to win something with the club so everyone is excited". "I try to push myself every day to help the team win something, " he added.
BBC further reports that Salah is the first player after Nigerian star Jay-Jay Okocha to win in consecutive years.

Previous winners

●2017: Mohamed Salah (Liverpool & Egypt)

●2016: Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City & Algeria)

●2015: Yaya Toure (Manchester City & Ivory Coast)

●2014: Yacine Brahimi (Porto & Algeria)

●2013: Yaya Toure (Manchester City & Ivory Coast)

●2012: Chris Katongo (Henan Construction & Zambia)

●2011: Andre Ayew (Marseille & Ghana)

●2010: Asamoah Gyan (Sunderland & Ghana)

●2009: Didier Drogba (Chelsea & Ivory Coast)

●2008: Mohamed Aboutrika (Al Ahly & Egypt)

●2007: Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal & Togo)

●2006: Michael Essien (Chelsea & Ghana)

●2005: Mohamed Barakat (Al Ahly & Egypt)

●2004: Jay-Jay Okocha (Bolton & Nigeria)

● 2003: Jay-Jay Okocha (Bolton & Nigeria)

● 2002: El Hadji Diouf (Liverpool & Senegal)

● 2001: Sammy Kuffour (Bayern Munich & Ghana)Chelsea

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...