Chelsea star could quit Stamford Bridge after being used in unusual role under Sarri

Chelsea star could quit Stamford Bridge after being used in unusual role under Sarri

Chelsea legend Tony Cascarino has predicted N'Golo Kante could force his way out of the club if he continues to play in a more advanced role in midfield.

The France international has been the best defensive midfielder in the Premier League since moving to Stamford Bridge in 2015.

And this has earned the petite player a lucrative long term deal at Stamford Bridge where he recently signed a £290,000-per-week deal.

But the World Cup winner has been changed from his natural holding midfield position to accommodate Jorginho since Maurizio Sarri became manager of the club.

And this has dropped in his performance level while playing as an attacking midfielder for the Blues.

Cascarino believes if the Frenchman continues to struggle in that position, he will have no option but to leave the club next summer.

"I don't think Sarri's comments about Kante being more technical were too much to be concerned about," he told talkSPORT.

"I think the bigger issue with Kante is they have given him a new contract because they know so many clubs are sniffing around him, but he's being played out of position.

"You feel he's wasted.

"I think certainly PSG would be in for him as well as other clubs, and why wouldn't they?

"He's the best at his position in the world, without a doubt, for me.

"That's why he signed a new deal, but I don't believe it will be enough to keep him there if Kante plays in that position all season.

"I think by the end of the season he might have had enough, knowing he's a far better player in the positions he is more accustomed to."

Following the 3-1 defeat to Tottenahm last weekend, the Italian manager has hit out at Kante for not doing his job well.

"Kante, in the last match, wanted to solve the match after the first 15 minutes but in the wrong way," Sarri said.

"He lost his position. He attacked too much the other box.

"And I think this is not one of the best characteristics of Kante. Maybe it's only a question of time.

"But Kante has to stay near to Jorginho, especially when the ball is on the other side."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...