Guardiola reveals why Man City players fear Liverpool

Guardiola reveals why Man City players fear Liverpool

Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola has said that Liverpool's efforts to win the Premier League title this season is helping motivate City for the title race.

City is currently topping the table with two points, with Liverpool being the closest side to the defending champions after 13 games.

Liverpool and City are the only sides left unbeaten this season, with Jurgen Klopp's side tipped to be Guardiola's rivals this season.

Guardiola has had to see off some fierce competition at different clubs, including the 2009/10 season when Barcelona beat Real Madrid to the La Liga title by just three points.

"I remember perfectly that season, how tough it was. Madrid with Manuel (Pellegrini) played incredibly good," Metro UK quoted him as saying.

"It was so nice because we did those 99 points when the year before we won the treble with Barcelona.

"To maintain that level, we did 99 points with someone else pushing us. We knew that if we dropped points Madrid were going to win the title.

"It's similar with (Rafael) Nadal, (Roger) Federer and (Novak) Djokovic, no? They push one to be better than the other one because they know.

"We need it in sport, as athletes. They [the City players] know. I didn't tell them, but they know how strong Liverpool are.

"They know that we can't drop points because if we do Liverpool are going to win the league.

"I can say Liverpool or Chelsea and Tottenham are the same in this moment. Arsenal as well."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...