Tears at Etihad stadium as Man City legend dies

Tears at Etihad stadium as Man City legend dies

Premier League side Manchester City have paid tribute to their former player and manager Johnny Hart who recently passed on at the age of 90.

The attacker spent his entire career playing for City and he made 169 league matches and scoring 67 goals between 1947 and 1961.

Hart's career was hampered with series of injuries but ventured into management in 1973 with the Citizens after hanging his boots.

After spending six years at the dug out, Hart's ill-health forced him into premature retirement and was inducted into the Halll of Fame in 2006.

Manchester City released a statement on Twitter revealing the sad news today.

It read: "Our thoughts and condolences are with the friends and family of former City player and manager Johnny Hart who has sadly passed away."

The City legend once described their former stadium Maine Road as his home adding that maagement was not really his thing, but he was fulfilled staying with the club.

He said: "I'd loved my playing career and I felt as if Maine Road was my home.

"When I came to the end of my playing career I'd already started to get involved with coaching.
world's best coach

"I liked being a second in command. Management was different. I didn't really want the job, but if I'd have turned it down I'd probably have been moved on.
"It wasn't a job I craved at all."

"It just wasn't the role for me. I'm quite a shy person really, and I guess management just wasn't for me.

"The players were terrific - I had a fantastic squad and they all wanted to play for me.

"Denis Law arrived back and I was very happy with the players and their motivation, but I just didn't want the role, and it all got to me. I became quite ill."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...