Maradona speaks on Cristiano Ronaldo leaving Real Madrid for Juventus

Maradona speaks on Cristiano Ronaldo leaving Real Madrid for Juventus

Argentina legend, Diego Maradona, has noted that Cristiano Ronaldo's departure from Real Madrid to Juventus in the summer was good for the player.

The Portugal international left Santiago Bernabeu after his nine-year stay during the summer, making an £88million switch to Turin.

Ronaldo left just weeks after helping Real Madrid to their third Champions League title in a row.

The 33-year-old has began to flourish in Italy and scored against former club, Manchester United, last week.

While Maradona acknowledges Real are missing Ronaldo, he stated that the move will work out as a positive for both the player and the club.

"I think that it was a good move for Cristiano," Maradona told Marca.

"He gave his all to Madrid, he wasn't enjoying it as much as he does now in Italian football and Florentino is always planning.

"When he saw Ronaldo was only getting a goal a game he sold him.

"Clearly yes [Real are missing Ronaldo], but I always say that a player doesn't make a club.

"Madrid will recover, they will win again, they have a great squad but the truth is that CR7 continues to score goals and people will say why was he sold.

"I always say that Florentino is clever and if he let him go it was for a reason."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...