Ibrahimovic finally opens up on how he was close to breaking his former teammate's legs

Ibrahimovic finally opens up on how he was close to breaking his former teammate's legs

La Galaxy superstar Zlatan Ibrahimovic has opened up that he almost broke Rafael van der Vaart's legs during their reign at Dutch Leaguse side Ajax Amsterdam.

The former Real Madrid and Real Betis forward announced his retirement from football last week after suffering an injury during training at Esbjerg fB.

He joined the Danish topflight side in 2018 after spending two seasons at FC Midtjylland - scoring two goals in 17 appearances for the club.

SunSport quoting FourFourTwo report that the former Spurs forward opened up on a toxic relationship with Swedish icon Ibrahimovic.

He confirmed that the former Manchester United striker Zlatan threatened snap him in two while playing together.

Van der Vaart further revealed that he and his former teammate "didn't get along" during their stay at the club.

When asked if the statement was true, the striker said that: "Yes, he did say that, but Zlatan said it to everyone.

"It's also true that around that time things just weren't working between the two of us .

"But I would rather be in a team with people who are honest, like him, even if it means there are a few arguments.

"But there wasn't a specific moment we fell out. We generally didn't get along well. "

Van der Vaart won two Dutch league titles between 2000 and 2005 having spent seven years of his youth career at the club from 1993.

Ibrahimovic joined Ajax from Malmo FF in 2001 but left for Juventus in 2004 and scored 35 goals from in 74 matches.

He said: "At that time we were both young and I was the best player in Ajax. He came to the club and believed that he was the best player at Ajax.

"Back then he did not act like he does now and I think he was a bit jealous .

"I did not have really big problems with him. It was just two egos converging in one place. I think I was a bigger problem for him than he was for me."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...