What Raheem Sterling, Guardiola said about controversial penalty in Man City 6-0 win over Shakhtar

What Raheem Sterling, Guardiola said about controversial penalty in Man City 6-0 win over Shakhtar

Manchester City forward, Raheem Sterling, has apologised to the referee for the controversial penalty incident in their 6-0 win over Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday night.

Man City defeated the Ukrainian side 6-0 in the Champions League group stage last night.

Gabriel Jesus fired a hat-trick, while David Silva, Sterling and Riyad Mahrez all got on the scoresheet.

Sterling, the England forward, was, however, at the centre of a controversial moment when he fell over as he kicked the ground under no challenge.

But the player has revealed he is sorry for what happened

"I went to chip the ball and don't know what happened,"Sterling told the press.

"I didn't feel contact. I scuffed the ball. Apologies to the ref."

Meanwhile, City manager Pep Guardiola has admitted City should not have been awarded a penalty.

He said, "We realised it wasn't a penalty.

"After being asked if Sterling could have told the referee, Raheem could have told the referee.

"We don't like to score in that situation.

"You know VAR and what it is - the referee must be helped because they don't want to make mistakes.

"The game is so fast these days. It takes 10 seconds for somebody to say something to the referee.

"Would you tell a player to pass the ball to the keeper?

"A coach would never say that. But I'm young, I will learn."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...