Cesc Fabregas wishes he'd played for new Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri earlier in his career

Cesc Fabregas wishes he'd played for new Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri earlier in his career

Cesc Fabregas has aimed a veiled dig at previous Chelsea managers Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte, saying he feared he wouldn't played the attacking football now practised by Maurizio Sarri again.

The Spaniard made his breakthrough playing Arsene Wenger's possession football, before joining Pep Guardiola at Barcelona, though returned to the Premier League to work under more pragmatic managers in Mourinho and Conte.

Sarri's arrival has heralded more exciting, possession-based football at Stamford Bridge, and Fabregas says he has been revitalised by the change in approach.

'I feel sensations under Sarri that I never thought I would feel again,' Fabregas told reporters.

'I wish he came a bit earlier to be honest. It's a little bit late now in my career. Definitely I'm very happy with him.'

The Italian manager's style, dubbed 'Sarri-ball', sees Chelsea dominate possession and territory, and Fabregas is loving how much more involved he is in matches.

He continued: 'Everything goes through me. This is what I like. Touching the ball 100 times, all the play going through me or Jorginho is a very important role for him. I'm learning it. I'm very passionate about it as it's very interesting.

'The way he sees football is something that maybe in the future if I become a coach I think I'll do something very similar. It's what I like and how I see football.

'I'm really looking forward to working for a long time with him.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...