Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech throws jibe at former Gunners boss Arsene Wenger

Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech throws jibe at former Gunners boss Arsene Wenger

Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech has revealed that upholding the Gunners philosophy was more important than winning games under former boss Arsene Wenger.
The 36-year-old shot stopper joined the north London side in 2015 and has since then taken over as the club's number one.

Though the Premier League side signed a new keeper this summer from Bayer Leverkusen, the Czech Republic goaltender remains number one at the Emirates Stadium.
SunSport reveal that the former Chelsea star aimed a dig at his former boss for his approach to games.

However, Cech believes Arsenal now have fighting quality and grit in their squad, something they didn't have under Wenger - who was Gunners boss for 22 years.
He says they now have the ability to grind out results - like they did against Everton on Sunday.

He said: "In the past I would say that playing the Arsenal way was more important than getting the points.
"But that is not sometimes the way that you win the League .
"Sometimes you need to win an ugly game, when you are not playing well but you just dig deep, close the back door and win 1-0 no matter how .
"I think this is what we have lacked since I arrived at Arsenal more than three years ago .
"But against Everton we managed to get through difficult moments and win the game with a clean sheet. So this is very positive. "

The 36-year-old hailed the impact new boss Emery has made to the club since his arrival in the summer - with the Gunners currently on a five-match winning run.
He added: " The new manager has been very demanding and this is how you improve.

"It comes from the preparation, the everyday work and the manager's way of playing the game.
"I think the club has become much more demanding in every way and that is great to see because this is what initially drives everyone forward.
"The manager has asked for precision and hard work every day and that gives you the kind of kick to ask 'am I doing enough to start the game?'
"We have very healthy competition here now and we are actually feeling the benefit of that. "

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...