Chelsea news: Alvaro Morata declares he will perform better under Maurizio Sarri than Antonio Conte

Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata believes he will be better under new manager Maurizio Sarri.

The 25-year-old does not think Antonio Conte's style was the perfect fit for him, whereas he says he should be more adept at playing 'Sarri-ball.'

Chelsea news: Alvaro Morata declares he will perform better under Maurizio Sarri than Antonio Conte

Morata netted Chelsea's second against Arsenal on Saturday

When reflecting about transfer rumours linking him with a premature Stamford Bridge departure, Morata stated that he has stayed put with the intention of turning things around after his tough first season.

"For me, it's easy. I could have gone back to Spain or Italy, all the people believe in me there, but I want to change things here," he said.

"I want to, not for all the haters, but for me and for Chelsea. Chelsea gave me everything that I needed and now I have time to give back all that Chelsea give me."

When explaining his troubled times last season, the Spaniard put a large part of the blame on Antonio Conte's style of football, and the affect that had on his performances.

"The most important thing is the way we play," he continued.

"Last season it was direct balls and for me to protect the ball in the air is not my best quality.

"Now I can attack the space, I can play one touch and go in the area for the crosses. It's better for me."

"Sarri works with the ball always and when you always have the ball the strikers have more chances."

Morata celebrated his first goal of the season with a gesture which indicated he has been blocking out the noise

The Spaniard opened his account early in 2018/19 with a goal in the Blues' 3-2 win against Arsenal and has big targets for the rest of the campaign.

"I want to score more than 30 goals," he declared, "But I would prefer to score 15 or 20 and get the Premier League or one big trophy."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...