Manchester City complete signing of Leicester City star Riyad Mahrez for club-record fee

Manchester City have signed Riyad Mahrez from Leicester, the Premier League champions have confirmed.

Mahrez, the winger, joins City for a club-record fee understood to be worth around £60million. He has penned a five-year contract with the club.

The 27-year-old Algeria international leaves Leicester after four-and-a-half years, in which time he scored 48 times in 179 matches. He was named PFA Player of the Year for 2015/16 after helping the Foxes to that most miraculous of Premier League successes.

Pep Guardiola, the Man City manager, has been interested in Mahrez since the January transfer window, having moved his attentions to the Algerian after Alexis Sanchez chose Man United over City.

No formal offer was submitted to Leicester as the King Power Stadium club demanded £95m for their star, and Mahrez failed to show up for training until over a week after the transfer window closed.

Manchester City complete signing of Leicester City star Riyad Mahrez for club-record fee

City were interested in buying Mahrez in January

The Foxes lowered their demands for Mahrez this summer, though City are still said to have paid a club-record £60m for the winger - a fee that could rise to around £75m if various add-ons are met.

"Watching them from afar has been a pleasure," said Mahrez, after finally putting pen-to-paper.

"Pep Guardiola is committed to playing attacking football, and City's performances last season were outstanding.

"I think we can be successful over the coming years and I believe my own game can develop under Pep's management."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...