Luka Modric hopes Cristiano Ronaldo snubs Juventus and stays at Real Madrid

Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric expects Cristiano Ronaldo to still be at the Bernabeu next season despite mounting speculation he will join Italian giants Juventus.

Reports in both Spain and Italy claim Real have decided to allow the Portuguese superstar to leave for just £88million - a tenth of his buy-out clause - after a breakdown in his relationship with Florentino Perez.

The deal is so advanced, in fact, that it has been claimed Juventus have already asked Juan Cuadrado to vacate the No.7 jersey while Real are planning a farewell ceremony.

But Modric has not given up hope of Ronaldo being convinced to remain at the Bernabeu and still hopes to be playing alongside the five-time Ballon d'Or winner next season.

Asked about the possibility of Ronaldo switching allegiances to Juventus, Modric told AS: 'Let's see what happens.

'I don't think he's going to go and I would like him to stay because he's the best player in the world. He means a lot and hopefully he will stay.'

Pressed on the issue further, he continued: 'I think he's going to stay, that's my opinion. It would be very good if he stayed because I can't imagine him in any other European team.'

Ronaldo is believed to have been offered a four-year contract worth £26.5m-a-season by Juventus, by the end of which he will be 37 years old.

Real intend to give Ronaldo - their club-record scorer with 451 goals - a fitting send-off should he join Juventus and do not want to let him leave through the back door, as happened with legendary keeper Iker Casillas.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...