Anthony Martial wants to leave Manchester United amid Chelsea and Arsenal links, confirms agent

Anthony Martial wants to leave Manchester United amid Chelsea and Arsenal links, confirms agent

Anthony Martial wants to leave Manchester United this summer, his agent has confirmed.

The French forward, who became the most expensive teenage footballer in history when he joined United from Monaco in 2015, endured a frustrating season at Old Trafford.

Forced to play back-up to Romelu Lukaku and January signing Alexis Sanchez, Martial started just 18 Premier League games across the campaign.

A lack of regular football saw him left out of the France national squad for the upcoming World Cup in Russia.

Martial has been heavily linked with a move this summer - Chelsea and Arsenal are among the clubs interested in a deal - and his agent has confirmed he wants out.

Asked whether Martial had made a decision on his future, Philippe Lamboley - who represents the 22-year-old - told RMC Sport: 'After thinking about all the possibilities and settings, Anthony wants to leave Manchester United.

'There are many parameters, for now it's premature to talk about it [the reasons for his decision]. Anthony will speak later to discuss all of this.'

Pressed on whether Martial's decision stems from a friction with the hierarchy at Manchester United, Lamboley said: 'They want to extend [Martial's contract] and do not want him to leave but we do not find agreement for several months.

'I think that when Manchester United, which is the most powerful club in the world, does not find an agreement in eight months of negotiations, it is that it does not really want to make him an important player.

'That's why this decision comes in. It is a well-considered decision. However, it is quite obvious and it is very important to remember that he is under contract, that United will have the last word and that we will respect the decision of the club, it will go to the end of its commitment.

'However we do not have the same vision on Anthony's future. Today, Anthony is disappointed because he has shown for three seasons the love he had for the club and his supporters.'

Martial's agent also claimed his representative would have already handed in a transfer request had it not been for the 'unconditional support' from the United fans.

'I can tell you that without the unconditional support of the fans, Anthony would have already asked to leave United,' he said.

'However, Anthony got hooked, he showed great professionalism, he was successful. I think he has done his best for three years.

'It is important to remember that this season he scored 11 goals and gave ten assists in five months. He was elected three times as the player of the month by fans.

'Then arrived the transfer window of January. I will not comment on the consequences of this transfer window. Everyone will have his opinion, I think he must resume the course of his career. The time has come.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...