Arsenal fans fear for Mesut Ozil after Unai Emery explained his playing style

Fans fear Mesut Ozil will not suit Unai Emery's 'intense' playing style at Arsenal. (Getty Images)

Arsenal fans are fearing the worst for Mesut Ozil after Unai Emery explained the 'intense' playing style he wants to implement at the club.

The 46-year-old was officially unveiled as Arsene Wenger's successor on Wednesday and made it clear that he plans to turn the team back into Premier League title challengers.

A key part of Emery's plan to improve on Arsenal's lacklustre season is to change the team's approach in games, and the Spaniard has insisted that he always wants to see his side on the front foot.

'My idea is to be a protagonist for all of the match, we will play against all the teams with this personality,' said Emery.

'I think the history here is a team who loves playing with possession of the ball.

'I like this personality, I like playing with the ball, if you don't have possession, I want a squad who are very, very intensive with pressing.

'Two things very important to be protagonist: possession and pressing when you don't have the ball.'

Ozil has been widely accused of being lazy by Arsenal fans, while former Gunners defender Martin Keown tore the midfielder to shreds after the club's Europa League exit to Atletico Madrid earlier this month.

And hearing Emery mention 'intense' and 'pressing' sent alarm bells ringing for some Arsenal supporters who believe Ozil will not suit the Spaniard's playing style.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...