John Terry set for new Aston Villa deal that would see him miss games v Chelsea

Aston Villa are desperate to keep John Terry at the club if they achieve promotion to the Premier League - and they're even willing to offer him a deal that would see him sit out games against former club Chelsea.

The West Midlands outfit will take on Fulham on Saturday in the play-off final, with a spot in next season's top flight up for grabs.

Terry joined Steve Bruce's side at the end of his career-long spell at Chelsea where he led the Blues to the Premier League, FA Cup, Europa League, League Cup and Champions League in a glorious stint at Stamford Bridge.

The former England captain now hopes to guide Villa to promotion at Wembley this weekend and should they achieve it, the microscope will focus on his future.

Terry had initially turned down Premier League clubs because he never wanted to face his former side Chelsea but he has a 12-month extension written into his deal at Villa Park should they go up.

Aston Villa officials are convinced he will stay and are willing to negotiate a clause that would see him not play against Chelsea, if he is determined to stick by his word, according to the Guardian.

Bruce joked that would be the case when asked if it was certain Terry would stay at Villa if they earned promotion, saying: 'Well, we'll not pick him against Chelsea if that's what he wants.

'I really genuinely hope he triggers it. All those phone calls to him, he hasn't been disappointed with it. You can't be disappointed when you walk through here.

'I just knew what he would give. Let's be fair, he has been one of the great defenders of our country.

'He is a great leader of men, which we don't produce many of any more, and in a quiet way; he is not a ranter and a raver, he is not one who puts heads through doors. He is calm.

'People like [Jack] Grealish have looked up to him and thought: "Is that the way I've got to be to be a top player?"'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...