Troost-Ekong joins Common Goal, commits one percent of his salary

Troost-Ekong joins Common Goal, commits one percent of his salary

Asides tough-tackling and hoofing clearances, Nigerian defender William Troost-Ekong showed his soft side by committing one percent of his salary to charity.

Troost-Ekong, currently with Bursaspor in Turkey, joins the likes of Juan Mata and Giorgio Chiellini as a part of Common Goal.

Common goal is a movement powered by players and managers donating one percent of their salary to high impact football for good organisations around the world.

Troost-Ekong becomes the 43rd member and third African to join the movement after Lesotho's Bokang 'Lefty' Mothoana and Ghana's David Accam.

The 24-year old joins Common Goal just as the movement prepares to invest funds generated for the first time. The movement will allocate €400,000 to 27 Football for good organisations tackling some of the toughest social issues of our time - ranging from HIV/AIDS to gender inequality and youth unemployment.

Troost-Ekong hopes to make a mark at the World Cup with the Super Eagles after his success with the Olympics team in Rio, Brazil. The defender was instrumental in the Super Eagles' qualification where he played every match during the qualifiers.

"Winning the bronze medal for Nigeria at the 2016 Olympics and qualifying for the World Cup were both massive moments for me," said Troost-Ekong. "However I'm hoping to outdo both of those this summer at the World Cup."

"I'm aware that I'm a role model for children and football fans, and having travelled the world I've seen the impact that we have on people's lives. It's our responsibility, as players, to use that in a positive way."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...