'The Referee Opened The Door For Everton'- Angry Liverpool Boss Jurgen Klopp Speaks

'The Referee Opened The Door For Everton'- Angry Liverpool Boss Jurgen Klopp Speaks

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp accused referee Craig Pawson of "opening the door" for Everton to take a point against his dominant side in the Merseyside derby.

Everton captain Wayne Rooney equalised from the spot after Pawson ruled Dejan Lovren's push on Dominic Calvert-Lewin was worthy of a penalty.

Liverpool took the lead through Mohamed Salah's sublime curling finish from an angle towards the end of the first half, which was deserved reward for the command shown by Klopp's in-form side.

Sadio Mane wasted a fine opportunity to double the lead before Everton, who had only one shot on target from open play, were awarded the 77th-minute penalty.

"Calvert-Lewin is smart and takes a step but even then it's nothing," said an angry Klopp in a bad-tempered interview with Sky Sports.

"The referees don't understand that the player is doing that.

"I cannot believe in a game like this when only one team is trying to win it and the other team were never in our box, and then you give it, you open the door for them like this.

"In my understanding, it's not a penalty."

Klopp then argued with the reporter, saying: "We can stop the interview, because I only want to speak with someone who has a little bit of understanding of football."

The German later apologised to the interviewer, and Everton boss Sam Allardyce saw the penalty decision entirely differently.

"He can moan all he wants but it's a penalty," said Allardyce. "It's an extremely brave decision and I think he got the decision right."

Liverpool remain fourth in the Premier League table, two points behind third-placed Chelsea, while Everton stay 10th.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...