Chelsea FC news: Alvaro Morata's response to critic who said he's not worth £20m

Chelsea FC news: Alvaro Morata's response to critic who said he's not worth £20m

Despite hitting the ground running in his first season in the Premier League, Alvaro Morata has quickly discovered you can't please everyone.

Following his £60million summer transfer from Real Madrid, the striker has scored seven goals in ten games and set about removing a curse Chelsea's no.9 shirt supposedly had in the process.

Since Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink vacated the number in 2004, the Blues have had a run of not so great options, including Khalid Boulahrouz, Franco Di Santo, Fernando Torres and Radamel Falcao.

"That was one of the first things I was told after turning up here," Morata explained to Four Four Two, joking that his team-mates begged him not to take the shirt.

"I've done a couple of little things to avoid the bad luck that the shirt supposedly brings," he said, though refused to elaborate on what this was.

Whatever he is doing it is working, but revealed he still has his critics.

"The other day someone told me your agent must be Harry Potter since you aren't worth £20million, so I asked him how much he was worth. There will always be people ready to criticise," he explained to Cadena Ser, a radio station in his native Spain.

However, he is not letting that particularly bitter person get to him and revealed he often winds down with a well-earned pint on his way home from Stamford Bridge.

"I live in Chelsea five minutes away from the stadium and sometimes at the end of the match, if the roads are closed, I take my training gear off and walk home," he told Cadena Ser. "If we win I give myself the reward of having a beer."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...