Chelsea agree €80 Million with Real Madrid to sign Alvaro Morata

Chelsea agree €80 Million with Real Madrid to sign Alvaro Morata

Chelsea have reached an agreement with Real Madrid over the signing of Alvaro Morata.

In the last few hours, the Premier League champions have finalised a fee with Madrid, believed to be in the region of €80 million (£71m).

Real Madrid ready to try 'super offer' for Mbappe after Morata development
The move reportedly comes at the request of Antonio Conte, who had attempted to sign the Spain international for Chelsea last summer.

Morata's arrival will now end Conte's search for a new leading striker having lost out to Manchester United in the race to sign Romelu Lukaku.

Morata is currently in Los Angeles for the start of Real Madrid's pre-season campaign but is now due to travel to London to finalise his transfer to Stamford Bridge.

The deal will make the 24-year-old the most expensive Spanish player in history as it surpasses the £50m Chelsea paid to Liverpool for Fernando Torres in 2011.

Morata was close to joining Manchester United earlier this summer and had even agreed personal terms on a move to Jose Mourinho's side.

But United were reluctant to match Madrid's £71m asking price and instead opted to sign Lukaku, who was Chelsea's first-choice target.

Morata will now replace Diego Costa, who has already been told by Antonio Conte that he is no longer part of the first-team plans at Stamford Bridge.

Earlier this year, Morata admitted in an interview with The Guardian that he was keen to work under Conte and says he is 'indebted' to the Italian after his decision to sign him for Juventus, although the pair did not work together as Conte left that summer to join Italy's national team.

'Conte is the manager who most 'bet' on me, without even ever having had me in his team,' said the striker.

'I'm very conscious of that: he bet on me for Juventus but left before I arrived; then he wanted me at Chelsea come what may. He knows me better than I could imagine, I'm sure, and that's important: it motivates you to work hard, train well.

'I feel indebted to him because he's the coach that most trusted in me, most wanted me, who made me feel I could perform at the highest level.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...