Messi confirms return to Argentina team

Messi confirms return to Argentina team

Lionel Messi has confirmed his intention to return to the Argentina national team.
The Barcelona forward, announced his retirement from international football, after they lost the 2016 Copa America to Chile.

However, following discussions with new coach, Edgardo Bauza, the 29-year-old has now reconsidered his decision.

"I see there are lots of problems in Argentine football and I do not want to create another," he explained through a statement released on Friday.

"I do not want to cause any harm, I have always tried to do the opposite and help wherever I could.

"We have to fix a lot of things in Argentine football, but I'd rather do that from the inside and not criticising from the outside."

Messi, who is the captain of the national team, admitted he made the decision because of emotions after the Copa America final.

"A lot of things went through my head the day of the last final and I seriously thought about quitting, but I love this country and this shirt too much," he said.

"I thank all the people who want me to keep playing with Argentina, I hope we can soon deliver them some joy."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...