35 Days After, U.S. Senate Passes Bill To End Government Shutdown With No Funding For The Border Wall

35 Days After, U.S. Senate Passes Bill To End Government Shutdown With No Funding For The Border Wall

On Friday, the US Senate and House of Representatives voted unanimously to end the 35-day partial federal government shutdown with legislation to temporarily fund many agencies, but without the $5.7bn President Donald Trump had demanded this year to help build a wall on the US-Mexico border.

Later on Friday, President Trump signed the bill, which will provide funding through February 15 and end the longest government shutdown in US history. Earlier in the day, Trump announced that a deal had been reached.

"I am very proud to announce today that we have reached a deal to end the shutdown and reopen the federal government, In a short while, I will sign a bill to open our government for three weeks until February 15. I will make sure that all employees receive their back pay very quickly, or as soon as possible," Trump said at the White House.

The president however tweeted, 'I wish people would read or listen to my words on the Border Wall. This was in no way a concession. It was taking care of millions of people who were getting badly hurt by the Shutdown with the understanding that in 21 days, if no deal is done, it's off to the races!.

The president first allowed the partial shutdown to go into effect in December after Democrats refused to approve the billions of dollars in funding for a wall along the US-Mexico border.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...