Why FG Can't Meet Labour's Demands - SGF, Boss Mustapha, Speaks On Minimum Wage

Why FG Can't Meet Labour's Demands - SGF, Boss Mustapha, Speaks On Minimum Wage

While speaking with journalist on Sunday evening, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, gave reasons why the government cannot meet the demand of labour unions that the national minimum wage be increased to N30,000.

Mustapha who made the disclosure after the labour unions boycotted a reconciliation meeting called by the SGF, said the meeting was part of the exercise that ought to be undertaken to ensure that there was a complete report to be submitted to the presidency on the issues relating to the minimum wage.

According to PREMIUM Times, Mustapha said that the tripartite committee has been working assiduously though there were outstanding issues that needed to be dealt with and that was the reason he called for the reconciliation meeting.

"Basically the only outstanding issue that needs to be dealt with is to harmonise the 5th chapter of the report and get the figures in for the purposes of submission to government," he said.

The SGF said President Muhammadu Buhari, while inaugurating the tripartite meeting, emphasised the need for a unanimous resolution at the meeting, something that was yet to be agreed to.

"Mr President went further to emphasise that the concern is not only for the welfare of the workers but also every other thing should be taken on board as it affects the country's economy.

"So it is a balance of the welfare of the workforce with the effect of the new minimum wage and the economy," he said

The SGF who quotde Buhari, said, "We yearn to go above basic social protection for Nigerian worker but also tie to the ability to pay, because I know that a lot of states are even having difficulty meeting the basic minimum wage".

He noted that 27 states were having difficulty in paying the current minimum wage of N18,000, while noting that he was not making any excuses for them.

He did not elaborate on why labour unions boycotted the meeting but said the tripartite meeting will continue tomorrow.

"I want to assure all of you that once the report is concluded and ready, I will personally ensure that Mr President sign immediately on it," he said.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...