How I went from an aircraft cleaner to a pilot - Captain Muhammed Abubakar

How I went from an aircraft cleaner to a pilot - Captain Muhammed Abubakar
Captain Muhammed Abubakar has revealed how he went from being an aircraft cleaner to a pilot.

Abubakar became a viral sensation, recently, after a tweet about how he went from an aircraft cleaner to a pilot was made.

In an interview with Dailytrust, Abubakar has now revealed how he was able to achieve his goal.

He revealed that when he finished his secondary school, he went to Kaduna in search of admission into Kaduna Polytechnic.

Unfortunately, he went there late and could not get the admission. According to him, he searched for something to do to get going, so he got a casual job as an aircraft cleaner with Kabo Air in Kaduna. He said;

"I was earning N200 per day, even though many believed that I wouldn't do it because of the meagre money involved. I was later employed as ground staff with the airline in Maiduguri."

Along the line, Abubakar got employed as a cabin crew member, earning N17,000 monthly. He later moved to Aero Contractors, where he worked with their chartered services.

According to him, when Aero Contractors ventured into scheduled services, he gave some input, which made the then Deputy Managing Director of the company to take notice of him.

He recalled to Daily Trust Saturday that when he received his first payslip at Aero, he was shocked, and even tried to return it, thinking it wasn't his.

Instead of adopting a lavish lifestyle typical of the sector, Abubakar decided to save and invest. Abubakar said;

"I joined a contribution system with my colleagues, and when it was my turn to receive the accumulated funds, there was a sizeable amount of money.

So, I went to the MD and sought his advice on my dream of training as a pilot. He was so happy, and supported me. That's how I managed to sponsor myself for my private pilot licence in Canada,"

Aero then assisted him to return to Canada to train for a commercial pilot license and type rating, which qualified him to be a pilot.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...