I Never Said Benin Owned Lagos - Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu Slam His Critics

I Never Said Benin Owned Lagos - Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu Slam His Critics

While speaking at the launch of "Defend the Defenseless", a book written by Arese Carrington, wife of a former U.S. ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington, the Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, on Monday, said he never said that the Benin people owned Lagos.

According to Premium Times, the influential politician was reacting to controversies generated by his earlier remarks that the developmental strides being witnessed in Lagos State was because of the blessings given to it by a past Oba of Benin. The comment generated debates in the media with many contesting the monarch's position.

In a swift reaction to criticisms and mixed reactions generated by his earlier comments, Oba Akiolu on Monday, took shots at those who criticised him, saying many of them are not "bonafide sons of Lagos."

The monarch promised to reply his critics by next year when he begins celebration of his 15th year on the throne as king. "I never said Bini owned Lagos... but the influence of the Oba of Benin, nobody can wash it away in Lagos," he said.

"You must have been reading many things in the newspapers. By the grace of God Almighty Allah, next year when I begin to celebrate my 15th anniversary, they will know the kind of person Oba Akiolu is."

The monarch also commended the Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, saying nobody can stop him in his political aspirations.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...