Woman Who Wanted One Last Baby Delivers a Set Of Identical Triplets

Woman Who Wanted One Last Baby Delivers a Set Of Identical Triplets

A Scottish woman has revealed her joy after beating odds of 160,000 to one to have identical triplets - after deciding to have "one last baby".

According to a report by TheSun, Mary McCandlish, 34, from Barrhead, East Renfrewshire, told how her miracle babies were all conceived naturally.

Mary, who already had four children, gave birth to her three new additions by Caesarean section two weeks ago. She revealed her joy as her identical sons Thai, Tyler and Tomas were delivered at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital maternity unit in Glasgow.

She said: "I just wanted one more baby but didn't bank on three.

"The delivery was the most amazing moment of my life.
"The operating theatre was crammed with doctors.

"I guess they don't often get the chance to witness the arrival of three identical babies.

"As they lifted each baby out of my womb I felt lighter each time.

"They all started crying immediately and I knew they had arrived safely.
"The pregnancy had not been easy. I am only 5ft 1in and carrying triplets was not easy. But I was monitored every step of the way."

The baby boys had to be delivered 10 weeks early as doctors feared they would not continue to thrive in the womb much longer.

They were all linked to the same placenta which struggles to feed babies after 30 weeks. Mary said she had been given steroids beforehand which were in turn absorbed by her babies and strengthened their lungs.

Thai and Tyler have thrived so well they have already progressed to the special care unit. Mary smiled and said: "My triplets are all doing well and doctors are pleased with their progress.

"I just want them to continue to thrive and leave hospital as healthy babies.

"It would be my dearest wish to get them home for Christmas but I realise that is maybe a bit optimistic.

"They will come home at different times depending on how well they thrive.

"I will do everything possible to make them grow in to healthy strapping boys.

"That includes breast-feeding them to top up the fortified milk the hospital gives to premature babies."

Mary says her other children - Peter, 16, Emily, 15, Katrina, 13, and James, six - are delighted with their wee brothers.

The triple pregnancy was diagnosed when Mary had her first hospital scan at 12 weeks.
Mary was told then that the odds of having identical, non-IVF triplets were 160,000 to one.

Sonographer Gayle McTaggart, a twin herself, said: "Identical triplets are incredibly rare.

"They come about after a fertilised egg divides into two and one of them splits again to create a total of three babies.

"All the boys share the same DNA because they started from one fertilised egg.

"We are absolutely delighted that Mary managed to carry her triplets for 30 weeks.

"It's a miracle considering she is only 5ft 1in and the babies shared the same placenta."

Thai, Tyler and Tomas are all doing well at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital after being delivered by Caesarean section 10 weeks early.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...