Why I voted in Lagos council polls - Visually impaired 79-year-old Man

Why I voted in Lagos council polls - Visually impaired 79-year-old Man

A visually impaired nonagenarian, 79-year-old Alhaji Muyideen Onigbanjo, was among the few voters who defied the rain to perform their civic duty during the council polls in Oshodi area of Lagos State on Saturday.

"I came out to vote because some of the candidates for the councillor and chairmanship positions are like my sons," he told our correspondent.

He further said, "I have been involved in politics for a long time, even before I became blind. Afariogun is my ward. But I need the government to come to our aid as senior citizens. They can help us by giving us a monthly token as welfare package to sustain us. Government should show more care to the elderly.

"I hope the elected local government officials would fix the bad roads and make Oshodi better than before. They are too many potholes on our roads."

Mr. Akindele Alapoti, who led Baba Onigbanjo to the polling booth, said the 79-year-old was a party chieftain during the time of late Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

"He is passionate about good leadership and wants things to become better in his community and country as a whole," said Alapoti.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...