Saraki reveals he was under pressure to resign as Senate President

Saraki reveals he was under pressure to resign as Senate President

The Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, on Friday revealed that he was under serious pressure to resign, during his Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) trial.

Saraki, speaking to his supporters at the Ile Arugbo section of his Ilorin home, said he declined to resign at every point because of his huge contribution to the success of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

He, however, attributed his victory at CCT to God and the solid support of his followers and supporters

"We thank God for today because when the entire travail started it was from this same place that we gathered and said we would come back on a day like this to do exactly what we are doing now.

"And I want to thank the Emir of Ilorin for staying very firm with us. He did it to the extent that even his colleagues across the country knew and at a point he said we would not beg again; that we would resort to prayers because we were innocent. You know he too has legal background, so he said we would focus on God.

"And for you women, I can't thank you enough. When the matter started you were all confused and you did all within your power and means to help us. You did everything out of love, not out of politics.

"At the height of the travail, I called a cleric and he said the matter was for them, not even for me so they were indeed praying for us and I want to thank them too. We are in this position because God wants it so.

"When they asked me to resign, I said, why? We know how much we fought for this government to come into place. They are just fighting God; they are envious of what God is doing. That is why we will still come back to this same place on the remaining issues," Saraki stated.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...