Cab Driver Who Turned In $187k CASH Left By Passenger Says He's Disappointed By $100 Reward

Cab Driver Who Turned In $187k CASH Left By Passenger Says He's Disappointed By $100 Reward

Raymond MacCausland, 72, was shocked to discover his passenger left a bag filled with bundles of $50 and $100 bills in the car after he dropped him off at a hotel.

The rider who claimed to be homeless said he would be right back but after 30 minutes of waiting, MacCausland looked in the bag to look for his ID.

'I thought maybe he would give $500 or $1,000, maybe one of those bundles,' the taxi driver told the New York Daily News after turning the money into the police.

He added: 'I've never seen money like that before. It was quite a sight when they dumped it on the table.'

MacCausland, who has been working as a cabbie for 50 years, said the man inherited the cash after living in a homeless shelter for six months.
He was relieved when police discovered the inheritance paperwork, adding: 'I know if it wasn't they'd come looking for me.' The money was returned to the unnamed man after police determined he was the rightful owner.
'This hackney driver exhibited exemplary behavior and his honest deed should be recognized,' Police Commissioner William Evans said in a statement.

After reuniting the man with his money, and driving him back to the hotel from the police station, he was rewarded with just $100. Honest to the end, the cabbie even admitted to hoping the man would forget his money for a second time.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...