14-Year-Old Boy Who Was About To Become A Father Hangs Himself To Death

A 14-year-old boy who was found hanging at his grandparents home is thought to be the latest victim of the ‘fainting game’.

Liam Hardy – who was about to become a father – was found unconscious at the home in Sutton.

He was taken to the St George’s Hospital in Tooting but died eight days later.

As reported by the Evening Standard, it is feared he may have become another victim of the ‘fainting game’ – in which young people choke themselves to achieve a brief high.

It is a craze which started in America and campaign groups say 86 people may have died in Britain as a result of the game.

Warm tributes have already been paid to the youngster. A memorial has been set up in front of Carshalton Boys’ Sports College which is covered in flowers and messages.

Some of his friends at the school are also receiving counseling.

His girlfriend Paige Ramsay is pregnant with their daughter.

She has left a number of messages on a Facebook page which was set up in the teenager’s memory.

In one she said: ‘Not long until our baby girl is here Liam. I can’t wait to meet her so then I’m finally holding part of you again.

‘I know I always said I was scared of giving birth but now I just don’t care because then you’ll finally be looking back at me again.’

An inquest into the teenager’s death has been opened and adjourned and the Metropolitan Police are not treating the death as suspicious. He died last Tuesday.

Liam’s mother, Janine Hardy, told the Sutton Guardian: ‘Liam was, and still is, my world – both my sons are. He was, and still is, very much loved by all his family and the many other people he came into contact with.

‘Although a typical teenage boy with his love of sports and music, he had a very kind hearted and helpful nature – happy to run errands to the local shop for his Mum, take the rubbish outside, or hold a door open for you enter.

‘He had a very special bond with his Grandad and was extremely close to his younger brother and was very protective of him.

‘The family would like to thank their family and friends, and Liam’s school, for their love, support and kind words at this difficult time. We will miss Liam every day.’

She said that her son had a keen interest in the navy and as a member of the sea cadets had travelled on the aircraft carrier HMS Ocean during its deployment marking this summer’s Olympic Games.

Headteacher Simon Barber said: ‘Liam was a popular boy who was likable, smart and good at sport.’

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...