I participated in robbery not kidnapping - Undergraduate

An undergraduate who was arrested by the Niger State Police Command, has stated that he only participated in robbery not kidnapping.

I participated in robbery not kidnapping - Undergraduate

The suspect whose arrest came, after one Emenike Odenigbo claimed to have caught two men attempting to abduct his sick son, Chinedu. The three-man gang had attempted to kidnap Chinedu Odenigbo of Angwan Kadara Maitumbi area of Minna.

The suspects, Onwan Onyedika, 20 and Eze Athanasius, 27, who were students of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and both from Enugu State, were subsequently arrested by the police detectives attached to Maitumbi Division and they claimed they took to crime to make quick money.

Investigation revealed that they came to from Abuja in the company of one Sunday Odenigbo, the younger brother to the complainant, to abduct his nephew. Confessing to the crime, Onyedika who is a 400-level undergraduate of the UNN said he participated in robbery not kidnapping and was reportedly dragged into the crime by Sunday, said to be a 500-level student of the same institution.

He said, "Sunday told me that he wanted to start a business while in school and begged me to accompany him to his brother's house in Minna to rob him, stating that his brother will not give him the money otherwise, and I accompanied him.

"I don't know what pushed me to this act. I never knew that my friend had a different thing in mind. To be sincere, I followed him to rob his brother not to kidnap his son. I have disappointed my late father; I don't have reasons to get involved in this mess I found myself. How can I face my poor widow mother after disappointing her? I have ruined my life."

The state police command's Public Relations Officer, Muhammad Abubakar who confirmed the incident, said that the suspect would be charged to court after investigation.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...