Serious Panic Rocks Rivers State as Herdsmen Storm Community, Kill Two

Serious Panic Rocks Rivers State as Herdsmen Storm Community, Kill Two

No less than two persons have lost their lives and seven arrested after suspected Fulani herdsmen attacked and killed the victims at Afam Uku, in Oyigbo Local Government Area of Rivers State.

According to The Nation, at the time of filing this report, the reason behind the attack could not be ascertained, but community sources said the attack might be resistance from the victims against the destruction of their farm crops by the herdsmen's cattle.

But the Caretaker Committee Chairman of Oyigbo Local Government Area, Dr. Chisom Gbali has confirmed the incident.

Dr. Gbali said the deceased, both male were attacked and killed by the suspected Fulani herdsmen in their farmland.

He said: ''We woke up this morning to hear the story of killing of two persons by the Fulani herdsmen. I don't actually know the reason for the killing. But, I believe that has to do with destruction of farm crops by cattle.

"The victims, I learnt, had questioned the motive behind the destruction of their crops by the herdsmen's cattle. There might have been hot exchanges between the victims and the herdsmen. One of the victims was from Tai''

The CTC Chairman, Dr. Gbali, disclosed that seven persons have been arrested in connection with the incident.

State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Omoni Nnamdi, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), told journalists that he has not been briefed about the incident.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...