COVID-19: Nigerian govt reacts to reports that Chinese doctor tested positive for Coronavirus

COVID-19: Nigerian govt reacts to reports that Chinese doctor tested positive for Coronavirus

Nigeria's Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has debunked reports that one of the Chinese doctors that recently arrived in the country, had tested positive for the COVID-19.

Mohammed, who is also a member of the Presidential Task Force (PTF), stated this on Wednesday, during the daily media briefing.

"This morning, there was a message that went viral, to the effect that one of the Chinese doctors tested positive and that news was supposed to have emanated from the Twitter handle of the federal government.

"I want to say, to the best of our knowledge here, there's no such thing.

"I've also just received two hate dramas and other fake news while I was sitting here, which I've been unable to open. But we will continue to debunk fake news and we'll try our best to timely give you information about the COVID-19, either through our daily press briefings or through the website of the NCDC and the task force," the Minister said.

Last week, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and PTF Chairman, Boss Mustapha, explained that the Chinese doctors were here in advisory and capacity building roles.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...