Osun decides: Omisore tells supporters who to vote during Osun rerun

Osun decides: Omisore tells supporters who to vote during Osun rerun

Gubernatorial candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in the Osun State governorship election, Iyiola Omisore on Wednesday told his supporters to vote for any political party that believes in what the SDP stands for.

For days, APC and PDP have been wooing Omisore to get his support ahead of Thursday's rerun. On Monday, Senate President Bukola Saraki, led members of the PDP to Omisore's residence, to ask for his support for the main opposition's candidate in the September 27 rerun. While on Wednesday, APC Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole and some governors of the ruling party, met with the SDP candidate at his residence, hoping to get his support.

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, had declared Saturday's election inconclusive. The electoral body said the difference of 353 between the leading aspirants was less than the total of 3, 498 that was cancelled in about seven polling units in the election.

Senator Ademola Adeleke of the PDP polled 254,698 votes against his closest rival and candidate of ruling APC, Isiaka Oyetola, who got 254,345 votes while Omisore came third with 128,049 votes.

But speaking to his supporters in Osogbo, the Osun state capital, on Wednesday, Omisore told them to go with any political party that believes in what the SDP stands for.

According to a statement by Jide Fakorede, his media aide, Omisore said he would not negotiate for his personal gains at the expense of the people of Osun.

"After over 72 hours of pressure on him by both the leadership of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) and All Progressives Congress (APC), the Social Democratic Party (SDP) governorship candidate in Osun State, Senator Iyiola Omisore, has said that what is paramount to him is the practice of true democracy in Osun State," the statement read.

"Omisore firmly states that he will never renege on his promise of good governance, accountability and human dignity in Osun state.

"Osun state has always been a stellar example of democracy where the people have consistently and freely expressed their franchise to determine who governs them.

"This should remain so. Osun people have shown that it is not business as usual. It is a positive deviation from what was hitherto the norm.

"I am telling my people that they should go with any political party that believes in what we in the SDP stand for: good governance, social justice and accountability. I have already detailed how we planned to restore Osun to the path of good governance through the five thematic pillars in the manifesto I shared during the electioneering. I will not negotiate for personal gains and abandon my people.

"My alliance is with the people of Osun state irrespective of the political party they belong. I want my people to be treated with the dignity they deserve. I desire that they have a government that will be accountable to them. I want them to experience the good governance the founding fathers of this state envisaged. I have told the parties that have solicited for my support to approach the electorates and ask for their mandate as I have assured them that I will not coerce them for political or social power. It is because I have kept my promise that has made me enjoyed their unalloyed support all these years.

"As highlighted in SDP manifestos, the five thematic pillars the SDP had hoped to implement to improve governance, eliminate financial reckless and reposition the economy of Osun state include: economic management and accountability; professionalism and performance; equity in access to service; local content and innovation and security."

"It is the right and democratic freedom of people to choose of their own free will. Their votes should not be coerced by money, vote buying, intimidation in form of militarisation, and political and social power.

"Their voices of demand for good governance, accountability and huma

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...