I'm Not Grooming My Son To Be The Next Governor Of Kwara State - Saraki

I'm Not Grooming My Son To Be The Next Governor Of Kwara State - Saraki

Bukola Saraki, Nigeria's senate president has refuted insinuations that his son is being groomed to be the next governor of Kwara state.

The senate president while speaking on the politics of his home state of Kwara claims his son is not interested in politics.

The former governor of Kwara also enumerated some of his glaciers as the governor of the state.

He said during his tenure as the state governor of Kwara, the agricultural sector of the state was developed.

"That is not in the offing at all. I am sure he doesn't even want to hear politics at all. You know it is not easy for children who are born to politicians especially in this time. When I was much younger, we were insulated from some of the political issues because well, we didn't read the newspapers, we didn't know what was happening. I reluctantly went into politics, go and check. Once or twice I was given the form to run for House of Reps, I remember I just traveled and turned off my phones and disappeared for months.

"After seeing what my father had been through, I thought to myself that this is not for me.

"In my eight years, we put a direction and we were able to transform the state. My successor too has been able to take it from there and we hope that by the time he finishes the next governor will continue to build on that in creating an environment that will continue to create entrepreneurship.

"In the agricultural sector we have done a lot of things that drive commercial activities which is not the blueprint of the country. Even in the universal health coverage which we are now talking about at the national level, I started that when I was governor and now my governor has continued and built on that.

"This shows the importance of continuity and stability and today we thank God that we are one of those states where there is a very good relationship between former governor and current governor.

Speaking further, Saraki said the state is not owing workers pension and salaries dating back to when he was governor.

"That is not true, majority of the amounts still being owed are at the local government level. There might be issues with pensions here and there but I don't know the details but I know that the arrears and liability are at local government level not at state government level," he said.

The group which is up of over 99 Civil Society Organizations, 70 freelance activists and 100 Non governmental organization (NGOs), made the call in a statement signed by the national president, Sunday Attah in Abuja.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...