Why I Shunned Buhari's Meeting With Governors - Fayose Opens Up

Why I Shunned Buhari's Meeting With Governors - Fayose Opens Up

Ekiti State governor Peter Ayodele Fayose has said he couldn't attend the Friday meeting of the 36 State governors with President Muhammadu Buhari because of a chieftaincy title he was to receive in Ado-Ekiti.

Fayose, in a series of tweets, reacted to the condemnation by the public for shunning an opportunity to join his colleagues in a meeting with the President.

"For those insinuating that I shunned the President's meeting with governors, I didn't. I had my installation as Apesin of Ado Ekiti slated for today (Friday)," Fayose said in a tweet.

"Guests were already in Ekiti since yesterday for the chieftaincy title installation before I received notice of the meeting with the President.

"There was no how I could have abandoned the people here in Ado Ekiti for the impromptu meeting with the President.

"Also, there is Udiroko, a major festival in Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital tomorrow to which I am committed."

President Buhari had met with State Governors led by Chairman, Nigerian Governors' Forum Abubakar Yari, Governor of Zamfara State in State House.

The meeting was held in the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja, shortly after Buhari participated in the Juma'at.

The Ewi of Ado Ekiti, Oba Rufus Adeyemo Adejugbe, had conferred the chieftaincy title, Apesin Apogun Pote, on Fayose.

The ceremony was attended by traditional rulers from both Ekiti and Gombe States and important dignitaries, including former Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswam, a PDP chieftain, Chief Bode George, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Chief Wole Olanipekun, and a former Minister of Health, Mr Julius Adelusi-Adeluyi, among others.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...