Lady Born With Half Face Undergoes Surgery

A Slovakian lawyer born with half a face can finally take a 'normal' selfie following reconstructive surgery.

Ivanka Danisová, 30, from Bratislava, was born with a congenital birth defect that saw her tormented by bullies throughout her childhood.

Called Goldenhar syndrome, it caused underdeveloped cranial bones on the right side of her face - and doctors thought it would kill her.

She spent most of her life covering up the defect with her long hair - as well as battling cruel comments from strangers.

But she has defied medical expectations and her bullies, and has become the first European to undergo life-changing treatment for the condition in the US.

Ms Danisová has even turned her unique looks into ammunition to spread awareness for fellow sufferers through social media.

The junior lawyer, who studied in the UK, will be travelling back to Chicago in September to have one final operation so she can lead a normal life.

The Slovakian, who was told she would die young, has become the first European to undergo life-changing treatment for the disorder in the US (believed to be pictured after the procedure).

In Ms Danisová's case she suffers from cardiac arrhythmia and was also diagnosed with leukaemia three years ago.

A difficult childhood

She said: 'My childhood was not a walk in the park, as there were moments when I was shown in a cruel way that I am "different". Then I was diagnosed, I was given no hope. I wasn't even supposed to survive.

'Despite many obstacles I have always viewed myself as a child with vision and goal in her life and nobody and nothing could stand in my way.

'As I was growing up, I learned to strengthen my confidence, because when I was little, I wasn't the brave person that I am now.

'I was a small, timid little girl who fought for every success in school, to succeed and show everyone that one day I will grow up to be worthy.'

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...