Lagos @50: Bash Ali blasts Ambode for inviting Evander Holyfield instead of him

Lagos @50: Bash Ali blasts Ambode for inviting Evander Holyfield instead of him

Former boxing champion, Bash Ali has called out the government of Lagos State for inviting American former World Heavyweight boxing champion, Evander Holyfield for an exhibition- boxing bout in the State.

The Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, as part of activities to mark the 50th year
anniversary of the creation of Lagos State invited Holyfield, a five-time World Cruiserweight and Heavyweight boxing champion, for a scheduled boxing match with a former governor of the state, Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Bash Ali, a Nigerian boxing legend, went on his Facebook page to lament that he would have been invited for the boxing showcase instead of the American because of his contribution to the economy of Lagos and Nigeria.

He wrote, "I was born and raised in Lagos. I am a world boxing champion, I have contributed to the economic growth of Nigeria through sport and I was rewarded with the highest national honour ever given to a Nigerian athlete, Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON).

"American former world boxing champion, Evander Holyfield is in Lagos as a special guest of the government to celebrate Lagos at 50 and I am not invited. The labour of our heroes past shall never be in vain."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...