No more Boko Haram in Borno - Buratai

No more Boko Haram in Borno - Buratai

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai has said that there are no more Boko Haram members in the country.

He said the remnants have been pushed to the boarders of Nigeria with Niger Republic, Chad and Cameroon.

According to him, the pockets of those insurgents operating in the borders are being cleared by the Multi-National Task Force.

Lt. Gen. Buratai made this revelation while addressing newsmen in Damaturu after paying courtesy call on the Deputy Gov of Yobe State who stood in for Gov Ibrahim Gaidam.

The army boss noted that the Army was consolidating on the peace in the region by opening up strategic roads that were hitherto closed due to the Boko Haram activities, adding that they will continue to give confidence to the civil population in the region by chasing out the remaining insurgents in the fringes.

His words: "We are further consolidating the successes by opening roads to allow people move about freely without the fear of any attack. We will continue to do that. Yesterday I was in Maiduguri and a day before yesterday.

"We have been able to open the Dikwa road up to Gamboru Ngala. We must certify that all the routes are safe and to also get people to be more confident and we have to assure them of that.

"Otherwise, virtually all parts of the Northeast can be moved in but people are still apprehensive but you can see that the Multi-National Joint TaskForce is operating in the northern part of Borno and southern parts of Niger Republic and parts of Chad. This where you see most of the remnants of Boko Haram are concentrated now."

"But I must tell you that joint efforts are on the way to make sure that these terrorists are further pushed away from these areas. That is the clearance operation we are doing. I was in Kangarwa just a few meters to the boarders and that is where our troops have been operating and they would continue to advance to clear the remnants there.

"It's a joint effort now; you will see the Chadian, Nigerien, Cameroonians and our troops doing the clearance operations," Lt. Gen. Buratai said.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...