P_Vk9kqTURBXy8wMGZkOGEzZjczYTU4ZTA4NTZjNzkxN2EyODVlMzliMC5qZmlmkpUDAFfNBXzNAxWVAs0DBwDDw4KhMAGhMQE

The Federal Government has refuted claims that it bought used protective gear from China as 'fake news.

The audio, which was circulated on social media, claimed that Nigeria was seeking to buy used protective gear from China.

Reacting, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the reports definitely orchestrated job by a charlatan and should be disregarded.

He also debunked claims that Nigeria was waiting for money from the World Health Organisation (WHO), before taking drastic measures.

Mohammed said it was also incorrect, claims that the country had no funds to tackle the disease because its foreign reserves had been exhausted, funds had been stolen, and that the figure of those infected by Coronavirus was understated.

"This is a most irresponsible, inaccurate and definitely orchestrated job by a charlatan and should be disregarded by all Nigerians.

"It is obvious that this hatchet job is aimed at distracting the hard-working health officials and misinforming Nigerians in order to create panic.

"The Federal Government will not be distracted in its efforts to fight this disease and keep Nigerians safe.

"Therefore, we urge all Nigerians to disregard the senseless audio," he said.

Mohammed said that it was also fake and handiwork of scammers, the news being circulated on social media that the government planned to pay N8,500 to each citizen to stay at home for one month starting from March 30," NAN quoted him as saying.

He also urged those seeking genuine and up-to-date information on Coronavirus to log on to the website of the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

Download Now