Henry Bello, a disgruntled Nigerian medical doctor, on Friday, barged into the Bronx Lebanon Hospital Centre, New York, United States with an armed rifle, killing one and injuring six others, NBC News reports.
According to the New York Police Department, Bello also opened fire on himself and died in the process.
The suspect, aged 45, was found dead on the 17th floor of the facility, the city police told NBC News.
The gunfire was first reported at 3pm on the eighth floor of the hospital and it was immediately placed on lockdown as police launched a floor-by-floor search for the armed intruder.
"This would appear, preliminarily, to be a former employee dressed in a hospital jacket similar to what you would see a doctor wearing, who is familiar with the hospital, which makes the situation a lot more problematic," officials said, adding that Bello had a rifle, possibly an AR-15 type assault rifle, and had previously worked at the hospital.
Just before 4pm, the Assistant Commissioner for Communication for the NYPD, Peter Donald, announced the search for the suspect was over.
"One shooter is deceased at the hospital," he said.
Before killing himself, Bello tried to start a fire on the 16th floor that was doused by the hospital's sprinkler system, a senior official with direct knowledge of the incident said.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation announced in a tweet later that the situation was not an act of terrorism.
AD: Get Thousands of Free Final Year Project Topics and Other Project Materials Sorted by Subject to Help With Your Research
Other related articles...
- Pictured! Nigerian Doctor Storms Hospital, Opens Fire On Colleagues, Before Killing Self In New York
- Shocker: How Medial Doctor Forced a Sick Woman to Have S*x With Him in Plateau Hospital
- Akwa Ibom Government Sacks Medical Doctor For Stealing Hospital Beds
- Bello, The New York Hospital Shooter Identified As A Nigerian (Pitured)
- Nigerian medical doctor narrates what happened after waking up during surgery
- Patriotic Nigerian: See the Medical Doctor Who Returned N2.7m Mistakenly Paid Into His Account (Photos)
- Nigerian Lady Recounts How She Was Inappropriately Touched By a Doctor At a Lagos Hospital
Trending This Week