I Stole My Benefactor's Car Because I Deserve It- Suspect

I Stole My Benefactor's Car Because I Deserve It- Suspect

A 24-year-old man, Richard Akinwale, who was apprehended by operatives of Rapid Response Squad, RRS, of the Lagos State Police Command for allegedly stealing his benefactor, Adelabu Tolani's vehicle, said he did it to punish Tolani for forgetting his birthday and for asking him to pack out of his house.

The suspect, Akinwale, was nabbed along Wempco Road in Agindigbin with a black SAAB saloon car, with number plates AAA 581 CG, belonging to his benefactor.

It was learned that Akinwale a drop-out from Northern American University, Cotonou, Benin Republic, gained entrance into Tolani's living room through the ceiling to pick the car keys and other valuables.

According to him, "I deliberately stole the car and other valuables from Tolani to punish him for forgetting my birthday."

Though he acknowledged the support Tolani had given him, who took him in since 2011.

The suspect said: "I have been part of the Adelabus, being friend to his wife's brother right from the Church camp. He sponsored my educational career before I dropped out in my final year.

"His wife was also very supportive. But I deliberately committed the offence because they asked me to move out of their house.

"This was the second time I stole the car. The first time was on my birthday on July 8. I took the car far away and wanted to take the car as compensation to start a new life.

"I think I deserve the car because I had laboured for them for a long time and they cannot just eject me like that. They must pay me back with that car."

Victim's account The owner of the stolen vehicle, Tolani, while regretting accommodating the suspect, said: "I regret rendering help to him. I don't know any of his relatives. It was my brother in-law who brought him from Church camp. "Later, I noticed that he needed accommodation and financial support. I kindly offered him without asking him to bring any of his relatives or parents to me.

"He used to be a very jovial and kind person before he left for his university education in Benin Republic. But I discovered that when he returned to the country, his life style suddenly changed."

Tolani Adelabu said after talking to him as a father, Richard opened up that he was no longer interested in going back to the institution. He said: "I asked him why but he never gave me any reason. I decided to send him out of my house so that he will not become a bad influence on my children. When he stole the car for the first time, I reported the case to a nearby police station in Ogonbo in Ajah area.

"The policemen arrested him the second day and he was detained for some days. After much pleading from him, I had to beg the DPO to release him that it was a family affair. I thought he would have a change of mind. "To my surprise, after two days, he went back to my house to steal the car again. My wife called me that she cannot find the car again. She said the suspect gained entrance to our living room, took the car key and absconded with it again, in spite of the fact that we had changed all the keys to our apartment."

Confirming the arrest, the Police Public Relation Officers Superintendent Dolapo Badmus, said the suspect had been transferred to Lagos State Task Force on Environment for prosecution.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...