Brave husband fights armed robbers with his bare hands for beating his wife

Brave husband fights armed robbers with his bare hands for beating his wife

Most people, with very good reason cower in fear when faced by gun toting armed bandits and very few can confront them, but that was what Mr. Viho Segun did when robbers beat his wife to a pulp in their residence last week in the Olodi-Apapa area of Lagos.

Narrating his encounter with the dare devil robbers when Rapid Response Squad, RRS, of the Lagos Police Command paraded the arrested robbers, the husband said

After dispossessing him of his documents, phones and N15,000 at gunpoint, he was led into his flat with intention to collect more valuables from his family. He said at his flat, the suspect, Bashir Wasiu, 22, threatened to kill him in the presence of his children and wife if they fail to produce more stuffs.

Vanguard reports that when the wife refused to surrender what they wanted, Bashir smashed Segun's head with a gun butt and beat the wife to a pulp.

Explaining the incident, he said: "When he started beating my wife, I summoned courage to engage him. As soon as we started fighting, his colleague took to his heels. "He too tried to run, but I held him, called out to neighbours, seized his gun and just in the nick of time, RRS officers on patrol arrived and they arrested him."

Robber's tale

According to the suspect, "we have been monitoring Viho Segun. We know he goes to work early in his car and we decided to ambush him. We were three, Michael and I followed him into his flat to collect more money, while Joseph was monitoring the situation outside.

"The three of us met at a point near boundary in Ajegunle. That is where we plan our operations. We operate early in the morning and late evening."

While parading the suspects - 22yrs old Bashir Wasiu from Oyo State and 23yrs old Tunde Adedeji, from Abeokuta, Ogun State, RRS commander, Superintendent Tunde Disu, said items, including a gun, jewelleries, a laptop and 18 mobile phones were recovered from them.

SP Disu disclosed that Adedeji and his 10-man robbery team invaded Muslim and Omotayo Streets, where they robbed all the occupants of the three buildings. Over 25 victims narrated their ordeals in the hands of the gang, when they besieged RRS Headquarters in Alausa after reports reached them that RRS officials have arrested one of the robbery suspects.

Most of the victims sustained several machete cuts to the head and body. They were conveyed to Alausa in three buses and, one after the other, identified the suspect and also collected their belongings from among the things recovered from the backpack of the suspect.

Lagos Police PRO, Dolapo Badmus, who confirmed the arrest, said police will not rest in going after armed robbers and other criminals.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...