Gernot Rohr reveals he turned down exciting job offers from 2 big countries to sign new Super Eagles deal

Gernot Rohr reveals he turned down exciting job offers from 2 big countries to sign new Super Eagles deal

Nigeria's technical adviser Gernot Rohr has revealed that he turned down exciting offers from Africa countries to remain Super Eagles coach.

The German-born tactician has extended his reign with the three-time African champions until after the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

Rohr led the country's senior national team to a third-place finish at the last edition of the Africa Cup of Nations championship staged in Egypt last year.

And the triumph appears to have boosted his CV on the continent, and he has revealed that Mali and Congo approached him before he extended his stay with the Eagles.

Having previously coached senior national teams of Gabon, Burkina Faso, and the Niger Republic, the 67-year-old won his first silverware three years into his reign as Nigeria's coach.

"No, but they were a bit slow. President Pinnick and I wanted to meet in January, but I couldn't," Rohr told morgenweb.de.

"Then came the coronavirus and lockdown. Actually, we agreed, it was only about details. Finally, the sports minister also interfered. "I had requests from Congo and Mali, which I refused."

Should he see out his contract, Rohr would have become the longest-serving coach in the history of the Super Eagles having being hired by the Nigeria Football Federation in August 2016.

Meanwhile, the NFF has told their employee that he will have to stay in Nigeria during this new deal, while he gets paid in naira after taking a pay cut.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...