Tottenham vs Man Utd: Mourinho congratulates Marcus Rashford

Tottenham vs Man Utd: Mourinho congratulates Marcus Rashford

Tottenham Hotspur manager, Jose Mourinho has congratulated Manchester United striker, Marcus Rashford for his successful free school meals campaign ahead of both side's Premier League clash on Friday night.

Rashford's campaign for children in England to receive free school meals outside of term period amid the COVID-19 pandemic prompted a U-turn from the UK Government earlier this week.

The 22-year-old England international made a personal plea, as well as an open letter to British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson.

Around 1.3 million school children in England will now benefit as a result of the new decision.

Reacting to the development, Mourinho, who coached Rashford during his time at Old Trafford, heaped praises on the forward, adding that he has now become a man with principles.

"Rashford did amazingly well, I congratulate him on that," Metro UK quoted Mourinho as saying.

"It is a bit strange for me that one football player can make it happen and, if it happens, it is because the government realises it is the right thing to do.

"The government should not wait for one player to come out publicly and put some pressure on them for that to happen.

"The 18-year-old kid I met a few years ago is now a man and a man with principles.

"To fight for kids very similar to him when he was a young kid is something very nice from Marcus," he added.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...